Corpus Christi-based American Bank’s annual Holiday Bear Drive is back and underway. Donations of new stuffed teddy bears will be accepted at any American Bank or TexStar National Bank location through December 31.
The stuffed bears are given to children and families who need comfort and support to help rebuild their lives. The bears will be displayed under the Christmas trees in each branch during the holiday season before being donated to the following community organizations:
- Camp Aranzazu: Based near Rockport, Camp Aranzazu is dedicated to enriching the lives of children and adults with special needs and chronic illnesses by providing unique camping, environmental education and retreat experiences.
- Mainspring Schools: Headquartered in Austin, Mainspring Schools provides underserved children and their families with a community for high-quality early education, nutrition, family services and community building.
- Nueces County Court at Law No. 5, Judge Timothy McCoy: Located in Corpus Christi, Judge McCoy’s court is a specialized docket, hearing cases involving juvenile delinquency, child protective services and guardianship.
- The Purple Door: The Purple Door is a nonprofit agency providing free services and a safe shelter to victims and survivors of family violence and sexual assault throughout a 12-county region of South Texas.
- CASA (Child Advocates of San Antonio): As part of a nationwide network, CASA recruits, trains and supports volunteer court-appointed special advocates who represent and speak on behalf of abused and neglected children involved in the child welfare system.
American Bank’s annual Holiday Bear Drive debuted in 1994. Since the program’s inception, American Bank clients, employees and friends have donated more than 21,000 teddy bears to area organizations.
“It’s amazing how something as simple as a teddy bear can bring happiness and comfort to both adults and children who have experienced profound trauma,” says Frances Wilson, president and CEO of The Purple Door. “We are honored to be a part of American Bank’s long-standing tradition.”
Established in 1970, American Bank has 13 locations in the Texas communities of Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Rockport, Goliad and Victoria.